Protesters have staged a demonstration outside a Surrey school after a black teenage girl was attacked.
Two girls, both aged 11, are among five people arrested after two schoolgirls were subjected to a “racially aggravated” attack outside Thomas Knyvett College in Ashford on Monday afternoon.
Shocking footage captured part of the incident which saw two 15-year-olds set upon. One victim received hospital treatment for her injuries.
Around 100 people took part in the protest after being appalled by the incident and a lack of intervention from passersby.
Organisers of Wednesday’s march urged people to call or write to Thomas Knyvett College to share their outrage.
Following the incident, a letter was sent out to parents by head Richard Beeson.
In it he said: “We would like to reassure you that the police were called and are currently investigating. We are supporting the police as they investigate this matter.
“We are aware that this incident will have caused concern among students and parents/carers. We can reassure you that we are taking all necessary steps to ensure this isolated incident is dealt with and that student safety is our paramount concern.”
Thomas Knyvett College has been approached by the Standard for comment.
Surrey Police said on Wednesday that four people so far have been arrested on suspicion of attempted racially aggravated grievous bodily harm (GBH), including a 39-year-old woman, a 16-year-old girl, and two 11-year-old girls.
The 39-year-old woman and a 43-year-old man were also arrested on suspicion of child neglect and intentionally encouraging and assisting the commission of an indictable only offence, while the 16-year-old girl was also arrested on suspicion of malicious communications.
Officers are also keen to arrest a sixth suspect, a 15-year-old girl, who has so far evaded police.
“She knows she is wanted in connection with this incident, and we encourage her to hand herself in to her nearest police station,” said the force.
Surrey Police said it was aware of videos of the “distressing” incident, and urged people not to share them but to instead send them in to the police.
Inspector Maxine Cilia, Borough Commander for Spelthorne, said, “I was shocked to see some of the video footage outside one of our local schools.
“Every school child should feel safe in the local community and as they leave school premises.
“Surrey Police are now investigating this incident and gathering further evidence with the full co-operation of the school.
“There will be extra patrols in this local area for reassurance and to enable local people to speak with officers “
Any images of video of the incident can be uploaded to Surrey Police’s evidence portal here. Anyone who was in the Salcombe Road area between 2pm and 3pm on Monday, or who has information about the incident, is asked to contact the police quoting PR/45230014226, either through the Surrey Police website, online chat, or by calling 101.
If you do not wish to speak to police, you can call independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Register now for one of the Evening Standard’s newsletters. From a daily news briefing to Homes & Property insights, plus lifestyle, going out, offers and more. For the best stories in your inbox, click here.2023-02-08T14:36:55Z dg43tfdfdgfd